David Warner withdrew a bid to overturn his lifetime Australian leadership ban on Wednesday, claiming an independent review panel wanted to “conduct a public lynching” and it would be traumatic for his family.
The dynamic opener and former Test vice-captain was banned from any leadership role over his part in the Cape Town ball tampering affair in 2018.
He was also slapped with a one-year playing suspension, but bounced back to reclaim his place in the national side across all three formats of the game.
Last month, Cricket Australia amended its player code of conduct policy which paved the way for him to request a review of the captaincy ban before a panel of three code of conduct commissioners.
But he has seemingly now shut the door with a scathing, and lengthy, statement on social media claiming the panel had made “offensive and unhelpful” comments about him.
He alleged they wanted “a public trial of me and what occurred during the Third Test at Newlands” in 2018.
“They want to conduct a public spectacle to, in the panel’s words, have a ‘cleansing’. I am not prepared for my family to be the washing machine for cricket’s dirty laundry,” he wrote on the eve of the second Test against the West Indies in Adelaide.
He added that it appeared the panel “has given no more than passing consideration to issues of player welfare and the interests of Australian cricket and is instead determined to conduct a public lynching”.
“Regrettably, I have no practical alternative at this point in time but to withdraw my application.”
The panel was set to determine whether Warner’s behaviour had improved and his remorse was genuine, in essence revisiting the events of 2018 when he was cast as the key villain in the “Sandpaper-gate” scandal.
Back then, he conspired with Steve Smith and Cameron Bancroft to alter the ball during the third Test in Cape Town.
Under CA’s new rules, a player needs to demonstrate that “exceptional circumstances exist to justify modifying a sanction”.
The new rule “acknowledges that players and player support personnel are capable of genuine reform or rehabilitation”.
Under the previous code of conduct, players had no right to review a sanction once it had been accepted.
Warner withdrew application for revocation of captaincy ban; Says some things are more important than cricket
David Warner withdrew his application for revocation of his lifetime captaincy ban on Wednesday. He expressed that the independent review panel wanted him to go through “public lynching”.
Warner was handed a lifetime leadership ban in 2018.
In the year 2018, Steve Smith and David Warner were found guilty in the ball-tampering scandal in South Africa. While former skipper Steve Smith was stripped of the captaincy and banned from leading Australia for two years, Warner was slammed with a lifelong leadership ban.
Warner, Smith, and batter Cameron Bancroft were banned from playing domestic or international cricket as punishment for their roles in the infamous ball-tampering scandal. Warner and Smith had been banned for one year, while Bancroft was suspended for nine months.
- David Warner’s review application:
Warner filed a review application after Cricket Australia altered its code of conduct last month, hoping it will clear his path to be considered for captaincy once again.
- Withdrawal of application:
The 36-year-old has now given up on his captaincy ambitions and slammed the Cricket Australia panel for making “offensive” comments and questioned the entire process.
“…despite my opposition and that of Cricket Australia, on Tuesday last week Counsel Assisting the Review Panel and the Review Panel took it upon themselves to concoct an irregular procedure (overturning presumptions and previous practice) for the determination of my application and establish a novel approach that would negatively impact the health and welfare of my family and the interests of the Australian cricket team,” Warner said in a statement, posted on social media platforms.
“In his submissions, Counsel Assisting made offensive and unhelpful comments about me that had absolutely no substantive purpose under the Code of Conduct.
“Regrettably, the Review Panel acted contrary to the submissions of Cricket Australia and my lawyer and appeared to adopt virtually entirely the position of Counsel Assisting.”
- In his heartfelt post, Warner expressed that he was not willing to go through the ordeal once again:
“In effect, Counsel Assisting, and, it appears, to some extent the Review Panel, want to conduct a public trial of me and what occurred during the Third Test at Newlands. They want to conduct a public spectacle to, in the Panel’s words, have a “cleansing”. I am not prepared for my family to be the washing machine for cricket’s dirty laundry.”
In his over 700-word statement, Warner said he had submitted a request for the Review Panel to revisit their procedural decision.
“Having had nearly a week to consider that proposal, today the Review Panel has decided to ignore the request in any meaningful way and has provided a dismissive rejection of the substantive matters,” he wrote.
“It appears that the Panel has given no more than passing consideration to issues of player welfare and the interests of Australian cricket and is instead determined to conduct a public lynching.”
- Warner also highlighted the effect that the ban had on his family and the efforts that he had made since:
“My family is more important to me than cricket,” he wrote.
“Over the course of the past nearly five years since the events that occurred during the Third Test in Cape Town, even with all the humiliation and attacks that they have had to endure, I have enjoyed the unwavering support and love of my wife Candice and my three daughters, Ivy Mae, Indi Rae, and Isla Rose. They are my world.
“Since that Test and even though my ban from leadership roles may never be lifted, I have taken it upon myself to reform, to rehabilitate, and to transform my approach to the game,” Warner said in a post shared on his Twitter handle.
“I have served and been subject to a crushing, unprecedented, penalty that has horribly impacted me and my family for the past nearly five years.”