Cristiano Ronaldo has been banned for two matches and fined £50,000 ($60,000, 58,000 euros) for hitting a mobile phone out of a teenage fan’s hand at Everton, the Football Association said Wednesday.
Ronaldo, now a free agent following his release by Manchester United on Tuesday, was involved in a flare-up with a 14-year-old boy following the Red Devils 1-0 loss away to Everton in the Premier League at Goodison Park on April 9.
He was cautioned by Merseyside Police, while the FA also charged the Portugal forward with improper conduct. Now an independent panel has handed down a suspension and a fine.
The ban will be transferred when Ronaldo joins a new club in any country, but does not apply in the ongoing World Cup in Qatar, where the 37-year-old is set to feature on Thursday when Portugal launch their campaign against Ghana.
“Cristiano Ronaldo has been suspended for two matches, fined £50,000 and warned as to his future conduct for a breach of FA rule E3,” said a statement from English football’s governing body.
“The forward admitted that his conduct after the final whistle of the Premier League game between Manchester United FC and Everton FC on Saturday 9 April 2022 was improper.
“An independent regulatory commission found that his conduct was both improper and violent during a subsequent hearing, and imposed these sanctions.”
Ronaldo requested a personal hearing in a bid to avoid a suspension.
During the hearing, held via Microsoft Teams on November 8, Ronaldo said he had “legitimate concern… for his own physical safety and well-being and leaving the field of play” after approaching the tunnel where Everton fans were gathering.
The panel, however, said Ronaldo’s conduct was an “act born of frustration and annoyance rather than fear or concern for his wellbeing”, but they also rejected the FA’s bid to have him banned for three games.
Cristiano Ronaldo is out at Manchester United after an explosive interview
Cristiano Ronaldo will leave Manchester United “with immediate effect,” the Premier League club said Tuesday.
The termination of the 37-year-old forward’s contract comes after he conducted an explosive interview in which he criticized manager Erik ten Hag and the club’s owners.
It wasn’t immediately clear where he would end up next after failing to secure a move to a Champions League club in the summer.
“Following conversations with Manchester United we have mutually agreed to end our contract early,” Ronaldo said. “I love Manchester United and I love the fans, that will never ever change. However, it feels like the right time for me to seek a new challenge.
“I wish the team every success for the remainder of the season and for the future.”
Ronaldo, who is currently in Qatar with Portugal as he aims to win a first World Cup title for his country, previously made it clear that he wanted a transfer after being reduced to a fringe member of the team this season.
On Tuesday, he got his wish with United confirming his departure.
“Cristiano Ronaldo is to leave Manchester United by mutual agreement, with immediate effect,” it said in a statement. “The club thanks him for his immense contribution across two spells at Old Trafford, scoring 145 goals in 346 appearances, and wishes him and his family well for the future.”
The statement didn’t convey United’s dismay after Ronaldo’s unauthorized interview with Piers Morgan.
The Portugal captain said he felt “betrayed” during a 90-minute discussion in which he was also critical of younger players.
United said last week that it had initiated appropriate steps in response to his comments, with the cancellation of his contract widely expected.