Aaron Judge might be chasing a record, but he knows it’s important to keep pace.
The Yankees slugger hit his 55th home run in the first game of Wednesday’s doubleheader against the Minnesota Twins at Yankee Stadium.
The fourth-inning homer carried the Yankees to a 5-4 win and keeps Judge on the path for the Most Valuable Player award — though he still faces stiff competition from Los Angeles Angels star Shohei Ohtani.
With 25 games remaining, Judge is on pace to hit 65 home runs — which would set a new Yankees record for most in a season. To reach the milestone, he needs to hit one homer every 2.5 games.
Judge is just six homers away from tying Roger Maris’ 1961 AL record.
Judge is also just six homers away from tying Roger Maris’ 1961 American League record of 61.
“I was happy to get a run on the board,” Judge said following New York’s 7-1 win in the second game of the doubleheader.
“That’s all I can really say. The rookie [Twins pitcher Louie Varland] was making his debut and kind of had us shut down there for a little bit. He had a good quick pace, working all of his pitches. It [Judge’s home run] kind of got some stuff going, got this offense going a little bit,” he added, according to MLB.com.
Judge celebrates with Gleyber Torres after hitting his fourth inning home run.
The season has the potential to be a historic one for the 30-year-old slugger — with six home runs in April, 12 in May, 11 in June, 13 in July, nine in August and four this month, Judge is inching ever closer to 65 homer tally.
If he reaches the mark, it would be the fifth 65-plus home run season in MLB history. The most ever in a single season was by Barry Bonds in 2001 when he finished with 73.
35 FUN FACTS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT AARON JUDGE
If you’re a baseball fan, you’ve probably seen or heard of Aaron Judge. He’s one of the most popular professional baseball players right now – and he’s got the records to prove it. For more facts about this stellar athlete, keep reading below!
1. Yes, his last name really is Judge. His full name? Aaron James Judge.
2. He’s 25 years old, his birthday is April 26, 1992.
3. He was born in Linden, California.
4. He’s currently playing the right field for the New York Yankees. He made his debut in 2016.
5. At 6’7 and 282 pounds, he’s physically one of the largest players in the major leagues.
6. He both bats and throws right handed.
7. He was actually adopted the day after his birth. He has an older brother, John, who was also adopted.
8. In high school, he also played football and basketball in addition to baseball.
9. While in school, he maintained a 3.2 GPA and was on the student council for 2 years. He also participated in tons of different community service opportunities.
10. He was actually recruited by a ton of colleges to play football, but he preferred baseball.
11. In college, he played baseball for the Fresno State Bulldogs.
12. His jersey number is 99
13. He’s a Christian and has spoken out about his faith on his social media account. He even has a Bible verse as his Twitter header! “For we walk by faith, not by sight” 2 Cor 5:7
14. He appeared on an episode of The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon where he posed as undercover to ask Yankees fans questions about himself. Check out the funny video below!
15. He had a contract with Under Armor from 2014-2018.
16. He currently has endorsements with Pepsi and Adidas.
17. He’s appeared on the covers of the magazine Sports Illustrated and the videogame MLB The Show 18.
19. He’s hit 33 home runs in Yankee Stadium, breaking the previous record held by famous baseball player Babe Ruth, in 1921.
20. He was selected as 2017’s Rookie of the Year and placed 2nd in The Most Valuable Player (MVP).
21. He’s super close with his family. He loves taking his mom to games or out on the town with him
He has a “bubble gum ritual” where he chews two pieces of gum during the game. If he gets a hit, he keeps it; if he doesn’t, he gets rid of it. Watch Aaron explain it below!
23. He’s a fan of J.Cole’s music. He attended an NYC show in November 2017.
24. He attended the 2015 wedding of one of his teammates, Rob Refsynder. Check out the fun black & white photo of him and his teammates!
25. He has an adorable dog. Check out this fun photo below!
26. He likes spending time in or by the pool.
27. He’s also interested in cars, golf and fishing.
28. He enjoys arcade games.
29. He apparently has his own set of bleacher seats! Fans can sit in “The Judge’s Chambers” – a three row set of seats made to look like a faux courtroom. Fans are chosen at random and can wear wigs and judicial robes, as well as use foam gavels. How fun is that?
30. His mother, Patty works in the school system. Aaron dedicated his first Instagram to her when he went “back to school” for a visit.
32. He always felt very close to his adoptive parents.
33. He credits his mom for most of his success, saying that she molded him into who he is today.
34. Despite being on a New York team, he was originally intimidated by the big city. He said it was “a bit too busy, too hectic.” Good thing he adjusted!
35. He’s seen the Rockettes at Radio City Music Hall.